Register for School
Families may begin the registration process online. Once the preregistration process is complete, the parent/guardian will receive an email notification that the application has been received. The school will then reach out to schedule a time to visit the school and complete the final steps of the registration process.
School Entrance Age
Children must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 30 of the school year to be eligible to attend kindergarten. There are no exceptions to this state requirement.
Daylong prekindergarten programs for at-risk 4-year-olds are available at a few elementary schools. Also, there is a prekindergarten program for children with disabilities who must be 2 years old by Sept. 30 to enroll. Each year, Chesterfield County Public Schools conducts Child Find to locate children with disabilities who need special education services or Section 504 services. If you suspect your child may have a disability, contact the Office of Special Education at 804-639-8918 or your child’s home school.
Residency and Additional Requirements
Students must reside with a parent or legal guardian in Chesterfield County to attend Chesterfield County Public Schools. The school system may re-verify residency any year a student is enrolled in Chesterfield County Public Schools. Students attend the school in their attendance area unless a waiver is granted or they are accepted into a center-based or specialty program.
New students should register during office hours at their home school. For school attendance zone information, use the find my school feature.
To register for school, proof of county residency is required by providing one of these documents:
- lease for at least one year or deed of a residence in Chesterfield County
- contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield
- weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
- Parents submitting a “lives with” form when registering must bring the person they live with. That person must provide proof of county residency, and the parent of the incoming student must provide two supporting documents with their name and correct address. Also, the parent of the incoming student must provide two supporting documents with his or her name and correct address.
In addition, a student enrolling in a Virginia public school for the first time must provide a certified original birth certificate (or school age affidavit in accordance with state law), record of a physical examination (performed within the past 12 months) and updated records listing dates of each state-required immunization. Visit the Virginia Department of Health’s website for a list of school and day care minimum immunization requirements.
The Chesterfield County Health Department offers immunizations by appointment only 804-768-7558 , and many childhood vaccines are free. For more information about immunizations, go to www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization.
It is helpful if transferring students provide a report card from their previous school and, if applicable, a copy of an Individualized Education Program. After registration is completed, the Chesterfield school will request a transfer of records from the previous school.
Information Needed to Preregister
- Student’s birth certificate or school-age affidavit in accordance with state law (Please note that the student’s name must be entered in preregistration exactly as it appears on the birth certificate or affidavit)
- Emergency contact phone number(s)
- Previous school address and contact information, if applicable
Required Documents for Registration
- Student’s birth certificate (original or certified copy) or school-age affidavit in accordance with state law
- Parent/guardian photo ID
- Certification of immunization
- For students in grades K-5 entering public elementary school for the first time: a school entrance health form, including comprehensive physical examination report dated within the past 12 months
- Proof of residency form with supporting documentation
- Legal/custody papers, if applicable
- Most recent report card or transcript, if available
- Most recent IEP, if applicable
School Registration Forms
Please print and complete the necessary registration documents and bring them to school for registration.