The Family Life Education curriculum is taught in grades 4-10 by registered nurses. The curriculum is delivered in a sex separate format in grades 4-8. Grade 9 utilizes sex separate and co-ed classes, and grade 10 classes are co-ed.
The curriculum includes the following age-appropriate instruction:
- Instruction promotes parental involvement, fosters positive self-concepts, and provides coping mechanisms for dealing with peer pressure and the stresses related to the students’ developmental stages and abilities.
- Human sexuality and human reproduction (growth and development)
- Abstinence education and the value of postponing sexual activity
- Child abuse/personal safety
- Sexual assault prevention to include human trafficking awareness.
- Dating violence to include healthy and unhealthy relationships, and consent.
- Family planning and contraception
- Teen pregnancy prevention and choices for an unintended pregnancy.
- HIV and sexually transmitted infections
Parents/guardians may opt their student out of family life education lessons. The opt-out procedures are available in English or Spanish.