Safety is our Top Priority
We want to assure you that school safety is always our top priority in Chesterfield County Public Schools, and schools remain on alert year-round. We are all partners in safety.
Each Chesterfield County school has a threat assessment team trained through evidence-based practices to evaluate potential disturbances and respond appropriately. Each school also has a team trained to respond to issues affecting students and staff members in connection with the critical incident and emergency response management plan.
Here are additional ways Chesterfield County Public Schools maintains a safe, supportive and nurturing learning environment:
- Collaborating with local law enforcement officials, the county’s mental health team and other community partners to support students and families in need.
- Electronic locking systems are installed at all schools.
- Camera surveillance continues to be upgraded across the division.
- Exceeding state mandates for emergency preparation and safety response drills.
- Addressing student behavior and mental health needs proactively with the implementation of anti-bullying initiatives and positive behavioral interventions and supports.
- Supporting students through school counseling and other easy-to-access school services such as conflict resolution and team building.
- Working with the police department to assign school resource officers to each secondary school and child safety officers to each elementary school, while also assigning school security officers to each high school and career and technical center.
- Employing caring teachers and staff members who develop meaningful relationships with every student.
We understand parents entrust their most precious gifts — their children — to our school division daily. We are committed to work and learning environments that support our diverse community and promote academic and social growth. Our students and staff members cannot achieve their best unless they feel secure, comfortable and supported. Please know that school counselors and support services are available for anyone who needs them during this time.
Everyone has a role to play in school safety. We ask that everyone be involved, aware, speak up and join efforts to sustain safe learning environments. If you see something, say something. If you know something, make sure someone at a school knows it too. We are all partners in efforts to protect our children.